Monday, July 21, 2014

Motivation Monday ~ Strive for Progress, Not Perfection!

It is already Tuesday! Monday has simply flown by!

I started my Monday with the Tone It Up Jump Your Heart Out workout - it is an HIIT workout that has you skipping / jumping rope and then keeping that heart rate up with lunges, squats and tricep dips. It was really hard! I managed to get through the three rounds and was definitely sweating by the end of it! I wish I had had my heart rate monitor, though because I'm sure I made a number of fat cells cry!!



I'm proud that I completed 3 planks. The first I managed to hold for 40 seconds, the second one for 30 seconds and the third and final one for another 40 seconds. I am really pleased with these results because I haven't done a plank since 2013 before my neck / disc issues started! By November, I really want to be able to hold a plank for 5 minutes.

Food was also bang en pointe today and I finished the day with a big green surplus! Any readers who are on MyFitnessPal will know what I am talking about! One of my friends on MFP showed concern that I wasn't eating enough to fuel the increased exercise and that I risked damaging my metabolism. I fully agree with the sentiment and was touched that this person cared enough to bring this to my attention. However, because I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), my Endocrinologist has told me that I need to drop my calories really pretty low (on average, 1000 calories per day, much lower than what is usually recommended) in order to combat the PCOS and to ensure that I am dropping weight. As you already know, I'm looking to have lost around 50lbs by the time November rolls around. The pressure is on!! It means that I need to lose about 10lbs a month. Next weigh-in day is Friday 1st August, so I will keep you posted on any changes! I'm pretty excited for August's weigh in because I really feel like I've been making progress through July. We will see if my efforts are rewarded by the scale... here's hoping!

There were so many opportunities yesterday when I could see an improvement in my fitness and my attitude towards this journey. I'm trying so hard to focus on enjoying the journey, rather than becoming hyper-focussed on the end goal.



My friend Amy and I went to the local leisure centre and did a 90 minute yoga class. It was hardcore! I was sweating so much!! It definitely made a few fat cells cry! Randomly, I had really sweaty knees... who knew that yoga could do that to a person?! 

Despite it being quite hard, I actually really enjoyed the class. It pushed me to my limits and then pushed me some more! The best moment was having a chance to do an inverted pose - downward dog into handstand against the wall. I only managed a couple of seconds because my arms were shaking like mad, but I did it. I didn't think I would have been able, but I ignored the negative self-talk and just did it. So proud of myself haha!



To recover from the yoga class, Amy and I took to the pool. We took turns using the pull buoy and I think we swam about 12 lengths each with the float and another 12 while the other person was using it. I'm really beginning to look forward to Monday night workouts with Amy! Consistency is key and now that we have been brave enough to sample one yoga class, I'm sure we will be looking for more!

What were your favourite moments from Motivation Monday? What Non-Scale Victories (NSVs) have you experienced lately?

My advice for this week is to take the proverbial bull by the horns, ignore the negative self-talk and get out there and do it. Challenge yourself physically and mentally. You might just surprise yourself - you can do so much more than you know!




No comments:

Post a Comment